mercoledì 13 marzo 2013

Author Interview: Arthur J. Gonzalez, author of The Photo Traveler



Interview

1.Can you tell us a little about your novel, The Photo Traveler?
Seventeen-year-old Gavin Hillstone is resigned to being miserable for the rest of his life. Left alone in the world after his parents died in a fire when he was four, he was placed in foster care, which for him meant ending up in an abusive home with an alcoholic adoptive father. Gavin’s only escape is in taking and creating images. His camera is his refuge from the unending torture and isolation of daily life in his “family.” Until he learns by accident that he isn’t alone in the world after all. His father’s parents are still alive and living in Washington DC. When he takes the plunge and travels 3,000 miles to find his grandparents, he learns that they—and he—are part of something much bigger, and more dangerous, than he could ever have imagined. Something that has always put his family at risk and that will now threaten his own life, while forever changing it. He learns that he is one of the last descendants of a small group of Photo Travelers—people who can time travel through through images.
But his initial excitement turns to fear, when he soon discovers that he and his grandparents are being pursued by the fierce remnants of a radical European Photo Traveler cult, the Peace Hunters. What Gavin has, they want! His adventure will take him to past eras, like The Great Depression and the Salem Witch Trials. Gavin will have to discover who he really is and must make choices that spell the difference between life and death for himself, for the relatives he now knows and loves, and for the girl he will come to love. For Gavin, life will never be the same.



2.What was the inspiration behind The Photo Traveler?
One of the most important people in my life was facing a difficult time when their grandmother passed away. It affected him in such a deep way that it consequently affected me. I remember him crying, staring at an old black and white photo of his grandmother in Havana, Cuba. He held it, staring at it like she was talking back to him.
He said, “I’d give anything to travel into this picture right now and hug her.”
I jumped off the couch, my mind spinning in every direction. “What if you could?”
And from that moment…The Photo Traveler was born.



3.Looking back at the novel, is there anything in the story you might have wrote
a little differently if you were just now writing it?
No. I think everything turned out exactly as it was meant to be. I am ecstatic with the final result.


4. Is this a genre you prefer to write in or is there any others you would like to try?
I love Young Adult, and will continue writing within this genre; however, I am also interested in Children's and Adult Fiction.


5. Is this your first published novel or there are more?
This is my debut novel. But trust me…there are PLENTY more on the way!


6. Any other work in progress?
Yeap! I am working on a children's novel, called 'MONTY AND THE MONSTERS', also a completely separate YA series, an Adult Fiction Series, and of course…the follow-up to 'The Photo Traveler', which will be titled, 'THE PEACE HUNTER'.


7. What's the craziest writing idea you've had?
It will have to be regarding my next series (currently untitled), which surrounds the end of the world. But this story is based ten years after the fact.
Let's just say, it will blow your mind. ;)


8.Print or eBook?
At first I was entirely against eBooks. I wanted to feel the book and smell it. But eventually…there were so many books that I wanted, it was only a matter of time before my love affair would happen with my Kindle. There are certain books I will always buy, but as of now…I see myself purchasing more and more eBooks.


The Photo Traveler
Seventeen-year-old Gavin Hillstone is resigned to being miserable for the rest of his life. Left alone in the world after his parents died in a fire when he was four, he was placed in foster care, which for him meant ending up in an abusive home with an alcoholic adoptive father.

Gavin’s only escape is in taking and creating images. His camera is his refuge from the unending torture and isolation of daily life in his “family.”

Until he learns by accident that he isn’t alone in the world after all. His father’s parents are still alive and living in Washington DC.

When he takes the plunge and travels 3,000 miles to find his grandparents, he learns that they—and he—are part of something much bigger, and more dangerous, than he could ever have imagined. Something that has always put his family at risk and that will now threaten his own life, while forever changing it. 

He learns that he is one of the last descendants of a small group of Photo Travelers—people who can travel through time and space through images. But his initial excitement turns to fear, when he soon discovers that he and his grandparents are being pursued by the fierce remnants of a radical European Photo Traveler cult, the Peace Hunters. What Gavin has, they want!

His adventure will take him to past eras, like The Great Depression and the Salem Witch Trials. Gavin will have to discover who he really is and must make choices that spell the difference between life and death for himself, for the relatives he now knows and loves, and for the girl he will come to love.

For Gavin Hillstone, life will never be the same.



Also available for iBook and Kobo!



The Author

My name is Arthur J Gonzalez.  I’m 28 years old, born and raised in Miami, FL.  I graduated from the University of Florida.  I am currently releasing my debut novel, The Photo Traveler.  The premise surrounds 17 – year old Gavin, who discovers he is part of a small group, called Photo Travelers, who can time travel through photos and images.  
I love to write and create new ideas.  I’m a dreamer. I’m a lover. Family & Friends are everything to me. What else can I say?Oh!  I almost forgot- I AM OBSESSED WITH CHOCOLATE.  

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik