sabato 30 marzo 2013

Review: Ever by Jessa Russo

Ever
Ever #1
Author: Jessa Russo
Published: October 1st 2012
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Format: eGalley
Number of Pages: 295
Source: Netgalley
Purchase: TBD, Amazon

From GoodReads

Seventeen-year-old Ever’s love life has been on hold for the past two years. She’s secretly in love with her best friend Frankie, and he’s completely oblivious.

Of course, it doesn't help that he’s dead, and waking up to his ghost every day has made moving on nearly impossible.

Frustrated and desperate for something real, Ever finds herself falling for her hot new neighbor Toby. His relaxed confidence is irresistible, and not just Ever knows it. But falling for Toby comes with a price that throws Ever’s life into a whirlwind of chaos and drama. More than hearts are on the line, and more than Ever will suffer.

Some girls lose their hearts to love.

Some girls lose their minds.

Ever Van Ruysdael could lose her soul.


My Review

Ever was an enjoyable paranormal read, that I was actually dying to read but that, in the end, left me a little disappointed. When I first read the plot infact, I imagined an emotional read that revolved mainly about Ever's love for Frankie, even if I also knew about the presence of another character, Toby. Nevertheless I think the author sometimes completely forgot to make Frankie a little more involved in Ever's life; he was the love of her life, but as soon as another guy came in, she completely ignored him, and that was absolutely not was was I expecting from this book! I think that the presence of Frankie should have been a little more constant, since he plays an important role in the end of the book, because in this way the story was a little incoherent and also the protagonist was not so credible, in my opinion; infact, she claimed she was in love with him but in those few moments when he appeared, she always treated him so badly for appearently no reasons! 
Moreover I think that the author should have dedicated a little more time in describing Frankie's death and how it affected Ever, because, as it is written, everything is got rid of in a scarce chapter.
Well, I think that one of my main problems with this book was probably the protagonist herself, Ever, I simply couldn't make a connection with her, and in general with all the characters. This automaticaly made the book loose some points, since characters are of vital importance for me, and not feeling connected to them is so annoying. I really didn't like Ever, most of the time, because she was a little bit too childish for my tastes, always undecided about what (or who!) she wants and I really didn't like the way she dealt with problems. As I was saying, she immediately got super upset about anything, above all with Frankie (the so-called love of her life) but the second later, she immediately forgot about it. I can still remember the part in which Toby breaks up with her without reason, but as soon as he came back, Ever immediately forgave him, the resentment of the past 4 months, FORGOT! In her defenses, I can say that it was quite enjoyable reading all the facts from her point of view, even if most of the times I didn't agree with her attitude, and I found particulary interesting and moving the moments when she is forced to deal with difficult situations.

For the rest I think that the idea behind the book was quite interesting and I think that the author did a great job in revealing what was happening at the very ending, because now, even if this was not what was I expecting, I'm still curious about what will be of Ever's soul and how she will deal with her two pretenders.

Overall
And you? Are you interested in this battle of souls? Do you wanna know what was behind Toby's mysterious life and how it will affect everyone's life? Then you should probably read Ever, a Paranormal novel about ghosts, love and lost souls!

Rated 3.15





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

 
Images by Freepik